msar-riders - [MSAR] Montana Horses need evacuation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Montana Horses need evacuation
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:10:32 -0700

I know that many of you are put in the same situation that we are- evacuating livestock when fire threatens. This came across a list and on the off chance the someone on here can help I'm posting it here.
Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR

Only 24 hours to move Mavericks to safety
August 1, 2006 : 12:00 AM
Immediate action required

Robert Blackbull is the founder of Black Feet Buffalo Horse Coalition in Browning, Montana, just east of Glacier. There is a fire burning 14 miles away from his property; it's headed his way with no signs of diminishing in strength.

Robert has just received his evacuation notice because of the fire. He has 130 Mavericks on his property; seven are pregnant mares. He has trucks ready to move them --- he needs people experienced in rounding up horses, loading them into the trucks and getting them out of the area. He could also use more trucks to get the animals out --- cattle trucks would be the best.

If the winds change direction, his ranch could be hit as early as tomorrow, Aug. 2.

The animals are registered Spanish mustangs, direct descendants from the days of buffalo runners. Robert said there are 1,500 alive in the world including the ones on his ranch.

Anyone with experience in handling horses is encouraged to call him to find out how they help. Those who don't have the experience to help but know people that do are encouraged to contact those individuals right away..

This is a dire situation which requires immediate attention. To find out more information, call Robert at 406-338-7434.

He may also be reached by email (although his computer wasn't working as of Tuesday afternoon) at bbhc@3rivers.net.

The website for his coalition is:
http://www.buffalohorse.org/