msar-riders - [MSAR] Spontaneous MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Spontaneous MSAR
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:51:43 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate; added
In-Reply-To header. To read this post in its full context, try
our web archive for 2006 third quarter:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/msar-riders/2006q3/thread.html
-Una]

Una, I have unofficially logged in thousands of hours on horseback and on
many different animals....however youa re correct in my limited experience in
MSAR. You are also so correct that splitting into groups are a nightmare,
but in a huge area seach, it is the only way to get the job done. The
biggest problem there too, is there are often not enough riders to do it. My
first ride was a vast area search. There were ground walkers, helicopters,
horses and though I did not see any dogs, I beleive they were there and they
were located in other search areas. We covered several forest preserve
grounds and the entire search area was huge so there was no other option but
to have several groups. In the utter chaos of it, the community pulled very
well together.

On this particular search, there was only one check point staging area when
you arrived, from there you signed in, you were briefed, ID verified and
quickly told were to go. When you got to the next point, again you found
another person incharge and he or she delegated who does what...a quick
assessment of abilities was made. In this case the group split and a person
was selected quickly to lead that group and be contact person and they
usually have the radios. It is no time to argue, and you fall in. You
volunteer as quickly as you can for what you are able and even things you
might not be able. Amazingly everyone on that ride was very cooperative and
no one got injured in 104 degree heat with beastly humidity pushing 120. It
actually was so hot that day and with the high humidity the heat indexes
called the helicopters down before the horsemen came in.

The search had actually been going on for several days and covered a very
large area and they hit point of beyond reserves of people to help. It was a
very stressful and very emotional experience, one that I will never forget as
it also involved a crime involving the abduction of a child. It was chaos
for the police and the entire community no less for the family it involved.

It was stressful for me in the same respect it was for you..being a
farmer/rancher and working in one of the top most dangerous occupations we
have the highes regard for
safety and sense of well being. Most of the riders there though were
lacking equipment and one rider was bareback in tennis shoes, however given
the circumstances of the all out call for volunteers, we all got the job done
and safely. The Quarter horses on the ride did not take the heat the best
and would have had to give up long before the hot bloods. At the end of the
ride, even in that blistering heat and not being on a horse that was
conditioned fully either, my mare would have gone on for much longer. That
makes me very proud of my animals and what we are able to accomplish.

I can only imagine the stress of the sheriffs department and others
involved. We all carry stress differently and I would be willing to bet that
there is not an officer or a searcher around that if they have been on a
mission, did not at one time or another breakdown at a personal moment for a
good cry or vent some anger in some way.
To carry that stress alone can be unbarable and we all need support at one
time or another.

All I can say is can you imagine if we all were trained better and more
proficient, how more better things could be? And that is why I say we cannot
underestimate the power of our youth or any person out there in a all hands
on deck call which this particular search had become. However, not all of us
are able to do this full time or have the resources to either.

What got me on that first ride of all the horses and horsemen in Illinois,
only 8 riders showed. Now to me, that is a seriously low number for a
serious need in a state wide call. Beating down the doors, to do this, not
in this state. So guys, take me for what I am...a volunteer willing as long
as I am able.

My first ride truly effected me in how since then every time my foot hits
the stirrup I ride with greater purpose and take in more of my surroundings
from the smallest of bugs to larger and I consider each ride I do take be it
personal or pleasure could always end up as a life and death situation be it
mine or someone elses. My tolerance of horseplay has sincerely waned.

And like you said Una, trusting those next to you that you do not know can
be a very stressful and desperate situation. The unknown makes us all
novices. When I say that the victim would not care who found them, that is
not entirely true especially in a matter such as this. If a person is found
and things go well, they are greatful to that stranger, but as far as who
finds them as long as the person there is truly there to help, that is what
matters to them and not how well you can quote the rules.

BTW - we were all background checked immediately at the time of checkin so
some peace of mind in those there helping though they were strangers were not
criminals or suspects. In this case they would have been held for further
questioning had that been the case. However, as you put it, working with
strangers is very stressful. I never got to know the names of the riders
there, but am thankful that they showed as it could have been less.

My point being, the stress of going to a training session would be far
different than that of the stress and adrenalline you have while in a state
of emergency. Your attitude is different. Your emotional state is different
in both instances. If you do something all the time, you become desensatized
to certain things as well. It changes the stress levels. As for your
emotional state that is not the same as the adrenaline. Not all of us handle
that the same either. If anything that that ride did to me is deepend my
sense of well being and regard for children. It has also brought me more
intouch with my faith and religion. It also showed me how a community can
pull together and also the areas that some can be illprepared.

I thing we all need to be in a constant state of preparedness, be it
emotional otherwise, but we also need to acquire thicker skins. Adverse
conditions can do terrible things to people and their minds. Tolerance in
the heat of the moment is often difficult and tempers can fly and we are all
only human.

(Mind you this is my own opinion from what I have seen and been involved in
all my life. I would like to add one other thing and that is if you are
joining into this to become a hero, DON'T because your ego will override your
ass faster than a disaster. But if you are doing this to truly help, then do
your level best because we all need the support of a team and community
effort. Being sure you want to do this is just that. Being sure and
realizing that part of giving help is also getting help.)

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated
Iroqouis County

VISIT US AT: