msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Red Ribbons and.....

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Red Ribbons and.....
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:07:25 -0600

Tm' Fi wrote:
>mock exercises are not designed to produce an adrenaline rush

That's an important point. If anything, a mock search should
be safe and even boring enough to increase the comfort zone
of a novice responder, precisely so that when the novice does
participate in a real search, the risk of an adrenaline rush
is minimized.

Consider how hard we work to avoid a fight-or-flight emotional
state in our horses. That state is pure adrenaline rush, and
it is dangerous.