msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Being a spontaneous volunteer/novice

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Being a spontaneous volunteer/novice
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:09:06 -0400

There are no other mounted in the immediate metropolitan area (5 counties),
TROT to the south being the next in that direction and Middle Creek to the
west. I remember bringing my horse down to train TROT in the beginning.
Middle Creek lacks the formal organization required in this area. The
other organization is primarily ground and while apparently well funded is
not responsive and no longer participates in regional or statewide SAR
organizations.

Our current trainees include a state certified search manager instructor,
several medical personnel, and an average riding experience in endurance and
horse expeditionary riding of over 15 years. (Irv is probably the least time
in the saddle of any). There is also one certified LEO. Two have been
involved with formal SAR for over 20 years, others involvement was as
spontaneous volunteers. One is also a dog handler. About half have passed
the on-line NIMS suite (100,200,700) and are going on to 800. We have also
conducted classroom reviews of self study map and compass, clue awareness,
and procedural matters. And they have stuck with it as we have proven the
operational concept to the Director of Public Safety, and members of the
volunteer fire service who have been the training and rescue practice
leaders in the country. The local fire training facility has won national
honors for instructor performance. We have not yet offered our services to
anyone on an emergency basis because we are still convincing the authorities
we know what we are doing through planning, training, and soon demonstration
at an exercise job.

The approach has been to use what we have learned over the years and
hopefully not repeat the mistakes. The ground search outfit in this 5
county area went operational with an answering machine for a dispatcher, no
field communications, and no training. It took 10 years for them to get
county dispatch. Today they are not on direct county dispatch but on a
commercial system. There are several dog teams, none of which are
considered official resources (dispatched by a county EOC) except for the
FEMA dogs attached to the USAR TF.

Will it work in the field? Won't know until we try it. But we are doing more
than hanging up a shingle and saying trust us. Our next classroom training
project is MSO, forty hours of classroom and simulation. The fire academy is
completing a new computer simulation lab (immersion room they call it) for
command training and we will have access to that as well. We will also be
formalizing recruit qualification, increasing compliance with 2209, and we
are already interacting with the parks on trail safety and starting today at
0800 we will be at the New Bolton Center of the U. of Penn., Vet School for
large animal rescue training, 4 days. Our capabilities are being recognized
by official agencies as our training at New Bolton is being reimbursed by
the Commonwealth and our dispatch pagers and possibly 2 800 MHz trunk
portables will be furnished by the county. Not bad for less than a year.