msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Guidance for "new" folks

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Guidance for "new" folks
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:31:03 -0700 (PDT)

The input is excellent and opinions form from experiences good and bad.
Ideally, a green rider and horse combination has no place in an actual MSAR
call, but they could tentatively train when appropriate with the group to
help them acquire the skills? I think I recall a reference in the developing
MSAR standards for rider competency, which would help address this and
inexperienced persons would not feel the requirements were arbitrary. They
would understand in advance what skills would be expected and everyone would
be more safe.

What seemed to work in the past riding with a large group that could easily
turn into a near-stampede is we had a senior member who was not only a
seasoned hunt person, but excellent riding instructor as the designated
Safety Officer. She gave lessons to new members and made sure they
understood safety rules and stayed to the rear until she felt they could
advance. If either the rider or mount were not fit to be in the field, they
were told about it, but could continue to improve towards their goal. A
board decided on membership which was a privilege, not a right. We paid dues
to hunt as well.

As one of you wrote, ALL riders make mistakes, but we hope none that harm
others. A sense of humor as well as teaching others about the mishap and how
it possibly could be avoided would build camaraderie.

Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:
Paul Fleming wrote:
>the senior members of the unit provide the support and guidance
>needed.

What about a new unit, without those all important experienced
senior members?

Una