msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Green horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "LAURI STRUVE" <lstruve@msn.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Green horses
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:38:19 -0500

But let's step back and ask ourselves this: Does a green horse
and/or green rider belong in any MSAR activity? Training, mock
search, or actual life-and-death mission?

My 2 cents.... I agree, most teams don't have experienced riders and horses
beating down their doors. I would say if a horse needs a red ribbon, I.e. is
a kicker... they have no place in SAR, where horses may be crowded, and
non-horse folks are milling around who most likely don't know what that red
ribbon means. As for Gr/Gr... I would say depends on the horse. and the
rider. I'd be more comfortable with a green horse/exp. rider, than a gr/gr
combination. I guess to me, the horses need to be treated like the k-9s...
having to meet certain requirements before actually going on a mission. But
I have no real concerns w/ greenings at training.
Lauri