msar-riders - [MSAR] GPS and field navigation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] GPS and field navigation
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:24:01 -0600

Marie Lester wrote:
>Only the GPS use was a bit challenging. Coordinates are not a "slam
>dunk" in terms of finding the exact spot, and various brands of GPS
>units are set up a bit differently. Additionally, we lost satellites
>in the woods.

Having done field work for years without benefit of GPS units,
I am rather picky about something here: consumer GPS units are
just that, *consumer* grade. Baring gross map errors (which
are rare), a standard small scale printed topo map (eg, USGS 7.5
minute quad) will provide higher precision and accuracy than a
handheld GPS even when the GPS is used under ideal conditions.
And the printed map still works without batteries, in freezing
cold, under forest canopies, in canyons, and whenever there are
too few satellites "visible" from your location.

A field exercise using GPS, where the given coordinates *are*
exact (by sheer good fortune) is not a fair reflection of what
it is like to use a GPS for real. To teach field navigation,
I use US Orienteering Federation (and IOF) style orienteering.
USOF sells a very detailed coaching manual, geared to adults
who teach JROTC kids how to orienteer competitively. I highly
recommend this manual, but with one caveat: it assumes the
reader already knows how to navigate at least moderately well
per USOF standards.

On http://www.us.orienteering.org/ see sidebar item EDUCATION.