msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS and field navigation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS and field navigation
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:43:33 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
Marie Lester wrote:
Only the GPS use was a bit challenging. Coordinates are not a "slam
dunk" in terms of finding the exact spot, and various brands of GPS
units are set up a bit differently. Additionally, we lost satellites
in the woods.

Having done field work for years without benefit of GPS units,
I am rather picky about something here: consumer GPS units are
just that, *consumer* grade. [...]

I suspect an additional problem might be different parameter settings for those GPS units. We have county standards for GPS unit settings and also post those standards during Mutual Aid so we're all using the same parameters.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
www.ceoates.com/msar