msar-riders - [MSAR] Riddle Ride/Hike

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Riddle Ride/Hike
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:30:46 -0400

Our exercise went pretty well today. We put together three teams and
had each go out in a different direction. Teams were scored on how
well they collaborated (that is, MENTORED each other in GPS use).
Review of CPR/ First Aid, GPS terminology, Formation terminology, etc,
occurred through the solving of the riddles, for which teams received
additional credit. There was also a credit for coming in at the
optimum time . Interesting how the participants became competitive,
but really worked at solving the problems through dialogue.

Only the GPS use was a bit challenging. Coordinates are not a "slam
dunk" in terms of finding the exact spot, and various brands of GPS
units are set up a bit differently. Additionally, we lost satellites
in the woods. Nevertheless, somethinng is always learned from a
struggle.

Marie