msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Weekend Training at KVMSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Weekend Training at KVMSAR
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 14:24:10 -0700

From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
Part of the Kokosing Group received "confined space, low angle rescue, and open trench rescue" training. The training was a combination of classroom and hands on work. [...] While I doubt that we as a mounted unit will probably never have to do this type of rescue, it was good training for other life experiences. [...] <<

Excellent training, Chuck. Confined space rescue isn't something that all folks can deal with ... with or without lights. Locally we have a big trailer that a semi hauls around to different locations for training. The trailer is divided into 3 levels of crawl space, set up like a maze complete with up/down and some dead ends ... and a couple of emergency exits. Trench / "something might collapse" training is also excellent for safety awareness. And being capable of low angle and able to at least assist for a high angle just made your team that much more versatile as a resource.

As you're aware, ongoing training will keep knowledge fresh and accurate. "I think ..." instead of "I know ..." can be a major safety issue.

How can you use this training in SAR / MSAR? Any kind of collapse, landslide, mine or cave rescue environment, etc., where you might search for / find the missing person. I also recommend cribbing and shoring training so you can evaluate and potentially stabilize that environment or even safely reach that person to provide some basic medical. If you are first on scene, knowing how to assess and stabilize until specialized resources arrive can save a life. Even understanding the hazards is invaluable for your own safety.

Also, even if the Mounted team isn't the primary response resource for that type of rescue, being a knowledgeable support resource is invaluable.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

Learn about Disaster SAR-related discussion on:
www.tk-cert.org/natlsar/