msar-riders - [MSAR] Weekend Training at KVMSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: <MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Weekend Training at KVMSAR
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 06:55:34 -0400

Part of the Kokosing Group received "confined space, low angle rescue, and
open trench rescue" training. The training was a combination of classroom
and hands on work. The confined spaces training was definitely not for the
faint of heart. Trying to crawl through a 20 inch pipe with and air tank on
your back in total darkness was an experience that one only wants to do one
time in your life. While I doubt that we as a mounted unit will probably
never have to do this type of rescue, it was good training for other life
experiences. The low angles was excellent and we received very good
experience in rigging 3:1 and 4:1 pulley systems and how to work as a team in
the rescue process. Open trench was also enlightening and gave one pause
when one has the task of trying to rescue someone trapped under tons of dirt
and trying to stay safe yourself.

We hope to have the rest of the group trained late this summer when slots
open up with the fire department.

Chuck
KVMSAR