msar-riders - [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Clifton, Ellen (Penny)" <Ellen.Clifton@svh-mt.org>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:51:52 -0500

[Deleted HTML. -Una]

Hello from Montana, where we are building an injury prevention program
directed at young western riders. We have a significant obstacle in our
state's loyalty to the traditional cowboy hat. I just viewed an
equestrian helmet video made by the University of Washington, that shows
a safety helmet being seated inside the bowl of a traditional straw
cowboy hat. I would be curious if anyone is habitually doing this and if
they have some pointers like which helmet they have found fits best
under a western cowboy hat. Our 4H-ers want to show in a wide brimmed
hat. Can't blame them, but we want them safe everyday as well. Thanks
for all responses.

Penny Clifton RN BSN CCRN
Trauma Services/Trauma Registry/Trauma Outreach
ThinkFirst Chapter
St. Vincent Healthcare
1233 North 30th Street
Billings, Montana 59101