msar-riders - [MSAR] Picket Pins vs. Hobbles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Raskin, Larry" <Lawrence.Raskin@jhuapl.edu>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Picket Pins vs. Hobbles
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:35:05 -0500

Karen Nesbitt asked about where to get picket pins. I purchased mine
some 25 years ago. Today I would go to Doug Kidd at Border States
Leather ( http://www.borderstates.com ). You can take your choice from
1840's Dragoon equipment to WWI. I use the 1859 pattern because I an a
American Civil War living historian for the National Park Service.

Una made the following comment - "Something to consider, if you want to
use hobbles in the field, is what are others with you using on their
horses? Hobbles and pickets do not mix. Meaning, a hobbled horse
should not be put out in a meadow with horses staked on picket lines.
The horse wearing only hobbles is likely to go visit the others, and can
get tangled in the other horse's picket lines".

We never hobble if picket pins are in use. Also, we attach the lead
from the picket pin to the halter per the regulation. I have seen the
horses "run" in circles on the pins. If you had the lead tied to a leg,
you could easily get rope burns to the ankle or hock making the mount
unserviceable.

Larry