msar-riders - [MSAR] Hi to everyone

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Schipstar@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Hi to everyone
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:52:43 -0500

[Deleted HTML. -Una]

Hi MSAR folks,
I've been on this list now for maybe a month, and since I don't really have
much to add, have been reading with great interest what you all have to say.
But, I thought it was about time I introduce myself and tell a little about
why
I'm here.

I am a Morgan owner/lover, and was excited to see Chris on here, who I "knew"
from some of my Morgan lists. I think that Morgans have a lot of potential
to be great SAR horses because of their hardiness, surefootedness, and easy
going nature (of the type I have, the WWF Morgans which are the horses who
have
been bred for their working ethic and brains, used for reining, cutting,
herding, etc.). I also have a good friend who used to breed racing
Thoroughbreds,
but has more recently become completely enamored with mules, and she is now
breeding her nice Thoroughbred mares to produce mules instead of race horses.

So, I've been very interested in what you've all had to say about mules, as
I've
always loved them and been just a little in awe of their intelligence and
"wileyness"

I worked for Long Beach P.D. for 9 years, just left last year, and I was the
Secretary of the Long Beach Mounted Police, which is essentially no more than
a social group of civilians who ride Palominos with silver saddles in parades
and do P.R. for the P.D. for fun. My jobs at the P.D. consisted mostly of
working with evidence, collection, testing and storage; and I was also
involved
in computer related background research, and using the computer as well as
other skills in order to find missing persons, which was my most favorite of
all
the jobs I held at the P.D., and which I received many commendations for.

I am also a rescuer and breeder of a breed of dogs called Schipperkes, and
have GSDs as well. Schips have very successfully been used as SAR dogs as
they
have a very high prey drive, a GSD like temperament, and they're small and
light enough to go into tight spots that bigger animals can't fit into.

I very much want to get involved in the world of MSAR and am hoping, through
this list, to connect with some MSAR folks in the southern CA area. I'm
located in Long Beach, which is south of Los Angeles and just north of Orange
County. I currently have a 12 year old Morgan mare who is solid working
bloodlines, and can't wait to become more active in the world of MSAR.

Chris works with a MSAR group out of Big Bear, which is quite a distance for
me, but if I have to, I'll go just about anywhere in southern CA to learn
more
and become active in a group.

If there's anyone out there who belongs to a MSAR group in this area, I'd
love to meet and talk to you.

I tend to ask a lot of questions once I get going, so I'll thank all of you
in advance for your advice and expertise.

Here's my first question - what type/style/brand, etc. of saddle do you find
works best for these all day MSAR assignments you do? I've yet to purchase
my
Nita a saddle, as I've been holding off on this large purchase to make sure I
get the right one for all 'round use.

Thanks again!

Lynn
Lynn Brown - Ebonystar Schipperkes/Angelsgate Rescue
http://www.angelsgaterescue.com/ & http://www.schipperkerescue.com/
Post Office Box 92283 - Long Beach, CA 90809 (562) 428-9832
...special dogs for special people since 1972