msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hi to everyone

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hi to everyone
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:53:04 -0500

The primary consideration for a saddle is that it fits. As we are all aware
a poorly fitted saddle is a way to ruin a good horse and your butt. First
determine which style fits your riding and your horse's training. Remember
that you will carrying extra weight so a well made tree that distributes the
weight is essential, as are attachment points for saddle bags, water bottles
and the other stuff you will want to carry.

A MSAR saddle is a working saddle, one you will feel comfortable in for
hours and own for years. Depending on the MSAR you hook up with you may
expect tasks to last from 4-8 hours in the East and probably days in the CA.
Other considerations are how easy it is to take care of. My saddle is mostly
rough out, with a suede padded seat. A quick brush off is all it needs. It
was custom fitted to the horse 16 years ago and still fits, and next winter
will get new billets and leather girth. The string girth (it is a roping
saddle) gets replaced twice a year or whenever too dirty to brush off. I
also got the fenders and skirts sized for me and to keep the saddle bags off
his skin.

A further consideration is comfort for extended periods. If an endurance or
even a dressage saddle is most comfortable use that. I have friends that
trail ride for hours using a Steubben saddle that is maybe 30 or more years
old.