msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Saddles etc.
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:23:12 -0800

That is another thing I do with my $2,500 saddle is I also ride in all
weather. I also take care of it. We go through a lot of saddle soap and
neatsfoot oil. I have Milton Bahrman's saddle that he had made for himself
in 1915 when he homesteaded in Terwilliger Valley, Southern California. He
lived in his saddle until he gave it to his brother in the 1940s. Then his
brother, Linc Bahrman rode it heavily until he gave it to me in 1975. I
would still be using it, only my rump no longer fits in a 14 1/2 inch
saddle. I passed it on to my son (Lincoln Easley). I am now in something
closer to 16 inch. I hope my great grandchildren will like my saddle as
much as I do. Do I sound all fired up? Just checking. I could not afford
that saddle when my wife bought it for me as a birthday gift. It has been
in the snow, rain, mud swam a river, I still clean and oil it regularly.
Philip Easley
NCSSAR