msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted training
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:46:38 -0800 (PST)

The Mounted training in KY cost $275 with or without a horse --- three long
days. Those who brought horses were given a large covered stall. They
brought their own bedding, feed, etc.

The company who put on the training has been in the police training business
for some time, but I think this may have been their first search and rescue
venture. The course resulted in a certificate but not linked to any
particular standard. The course was basic SAR most appropriate for newer
searchers. They will be putting together next year's curriculum and would
probably welcome input on training needs from around the country. They
modified their course mid-stream based on the level of experience they found
in their students. Give them a call and talk with them. They are very
approachable.

Tomorrow the two of us who attended the KY school will do some training for
our local unit. We will be using some of the materials and information we
brought back from KY.

Lois Guyon
Member
LaSalle County Sheriff's Mounted SAR Posse
Ottawa, IL