msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ian@modricusa.com" <ian@modricusa.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted training
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:47:04 -0700

Lois,

Thank you very interesting report.

Couple of questions -

The cost seems to have been $275 I assume this was mounted or horseless -
same price ?

Their website mentions certification in various disciplines - was the course
you did a certificate course ?

I ask because you mention there was a mock search and a lot of time was
devoted to learning GPS ( Rhino 120 ) - did they mention if their
certifications are linked to any standards ?

Unfortunately their web site does not provide any detail of courses /
certifications / standards / curricula - we are looking at training
providers for next year so all input gratefully accepted !

Many thanks

Ian Vowles
Commander
Mounted Rescue
400 Ranch Place
Pagosa Springs
Colorado 81147

Tel : 970-731-4062
Fax: 970-731-4064

Two members of the LaSalle County, IL Sheriff's Mounted Search and Rescue
Posse attended the Mounted Search and Rescue Training at the Kentucky Horse
Park in Lexington, Kentucky, October 25-27th. Six states were represented
as well as the U.S. Park Service and the Kentucky Horse Park Mounted Police.
The school was conducted by Mounted Police Training Systems, Inc.
of Boca Raton, FL.

The instruction was designed for both those who brought horse and those who
did not. Due to the distance and expense, we did not bring our horses.
Most who came a long distance did not bring their mounts. The training was
for riders, not horses.
However, the simulated searches were done on horseback. Some of us did
ground searches and still benefited. I was happy that I did not bring my
horse considering the cost, stress on the horse, distance, and the need to
do chores in cold damp weather.

The weather was cold with rain. About half of the training was conducted
outside. The instructors were well qualified by experience and their
approach was applied and practical. We spent much of the outdoor work in
applications of GPS units. The Garmin Rino 120 was used for instruction.
Those who had used other systems said that the Rino 120 was easy to use and
powerful. The school had obtained the units online at a volume discount.
The units worked fine. However, Garmin has not authorized any on-line
distributors so it is a case of buyer beware. Check out the Garmin web site
before purchasing on-line. According to Garmin, some people who went to
Garmin for service or support have found the units purchased on-line to be
stolen, etc.

The consensus of the people attending seemed to be that the training was
worthwhile and many are planning on coming again next year. Everyone seemed
to be having fun, and the event was a great networking opportunity. We had
not had trainers from outside our geographic area and used the
training/conference to determine if our group was deficient in any aspects
of our preparation. We were pleased to find that we are essentially on a
par with other groups nationally.

The opportunity to speak with vendors was helpful.
The school plans to increase the number of vendors next year.

I think most people felt the price for the school was worth the expenditure.
I would recommend it .

Lois Guyon
Member
LaSalle County Sheriff's Mounted SAR Posse Ottawa, IL