msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:25 -0700

We have a practice of sending out each search team (mounted or otherwise) with 2 SAR radios with 3 VHF channel options that are monitored at the CP, with one primary channel defined - commonly 155.160. If a search instead of a known rescue, we usually send out 4 searchers per team so they have potential to temporarily split into 2 teams of 2. (4 on a mounted team also provides them with enough people for an assist into the saddle to perform mounted rescue, as needed. Training required.)

1 of the channels hits a repeater on the mountain, and also our portable repeater. Sometimes we'll position relay personnel. Within each field team we encourage using FRS / GMRS radios for internal team communication to keep team chatter off the SAR channels.

We also use a consistent FRS/GMRS channel during any caravan response to keep in touch between vehicles, while responding management during Hasty response might also converse on a line of sight SAR channel. (We're sometimes 3-4 hours drive up the mountain - at speed - from arriving to set up a Hasty CP and do some planning and resource management en route so we're prepared to deploy about as quickly as we arrive.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: <Santafearabians@aol.com>
You all have been extremely helpful . I have another question. Do you all
feel it is necessary for all of your riders to have a hand held radio? Or
possibly just your squad and team leaders. Of course have the usual base radio at
operations base. We are having a very hard time with our communications, some
hear and some do not.
The team works in a 2 to 4 rider squad with a squad leader, and a team
leader.

Thank you so much
Al Hale Sheriff's Posse, Jackson Co. Mo.