msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ian@modricusa.com" <ian@modricusa.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:15:19 -0600

We prefer a minimum of 2 handheld radios per team - more is better. Radio
member keeps theirs on, if 2 channels in use 2 radios kept on , one on each
frequency, others are OFF as backup spares etc -

We have major comm issues with terrain, we use VHF 5 watt handheld and 48"
approx telescopic antennas tuned to frequency carried by each team for
marginal areas - these make a huge difference . We upgrade standard "rubber
ducky" antennas to high gain, tuned, flexible extended "rubber ducky types"
again we find huge improvements over standard antenna that comes with
radios.

For carrying we find you cannot beat a chest harness or pouch to get radio
and more importantly antenna up around or above shoulder this obviates the
body shielding of signal that occurs if it is on a your belt .

Our portable 50 watt base station uses a 40' telescopic pole with high gain
base antenna that we can set up almost anywhere in few minutes .

Even with all this we still have comm issues and the next step will be to
get CAP to fly high and provide air repeater cover - this will be a huge
improvement ! Meanwhile we are looking at Sat phones for the odd team
deployed into distant awkward comm terrain.

Ian