msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: lmabry@zianet.com
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:01:47 -0600

jmo but i think every one should have their own radio - even if the squad leader is the only one communicating with camp - you never know when someone might get separated, a battery dies or ???
I personnally would not go out without my own communication. I typically carry the team radio (SAR frequencies), ham radio (modified to also pickup SAR) and cell phone and sometimes a two-way. We have had situations where I had all of those and still had no communication due to the terrain - had to wait til a chopper flew overhead.
Lydia Mabry
DACSMP

Santafearabians@aol.com writes:

Fellow MSAR units
You all have been extremely helpful . I have another question. Do you all feel it is necessary for all of your riders to have a hand held radio? Or possibly just your squad and team leaders. Of course have the usual base radio at operations base. We are having a very hard time with our communications, some hear and some do not.
The team works in a 2 to 4 rider squad with a squad leader, and a team leader.
Thank you so much
Al Hale Sheriff's Posse, Jackson Co. Mo.