msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Field radios
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:25:48 -0400

Our procedure is to issue 2 radios or more per task, a primary and a backup,
and if available spare battery packs. We use the 150 MHz band public safety
frequencies, analog FM, which is a highly reliable band. It is also common
to the PA DCNR and very popular for fire, ems, and police, Amtrack, and the
USCG on marine channels. A wide banded field programmable unit goes to
command types who have to talk to everybody directly, the limited channel
ones go out in the field.

Since like all volunteer MSAR we are dead broke the radios are scrounged or
used and work most of the time. Batteries are always a problem and we spend
what we can on new packs as needed.

Public safety radios do not need operator licensing, just station licenses,
and tend to be more respected than ham units among the other responders.
There should be a lot of equipment coming on the used market as 800MHz trunk
and digital systems come in to service in major metropolitan areas.