msar-riders - [MSAR] Train with it

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Train with it
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:09:38 -0600

Tomi` Finkle wrote:
>If you like this kind of product, please TRAIN WITH IT
>before using it on an injured person in the field.

I would expand the exhortation to TRAIN FIRST with ANY
gear you plan to use on a mission. Chest harnesses for
radios and other essential gear are very popular with
SAR groundpounders in my area, and with some horsemen,
but not so popular with horse*women*. Ditto those big
gear vests. Stuff sticking out from our front tends to
get hung up on the saddle when we mount. Especially
toward the end of a long day.

SAR rescue gear absolutely needs to be used in training
long before it gets used to evacuate an injured person.

Una