msar-riders - [MSAR] Rescue bag stretchers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Rescue bag stretchers
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:06:50 -0400

One common problem for many MSAR teams is that they do not have the equipment readily available to transport an injured person that can not walk or ride out of their "find" location. A simple call on the radio can produce the needed manpower to carry someone out horizontally, but most often everyone will be wasting valuable time waiting for a frame litter to arrive. The military has witnessed this same problem has has utilized soft flexible canvas and/or polymer stretchers for some time now.
A mail order company called the Sportsman's guide (www.sportsmansguide.com) is selling (new never issued) military stretchers at some bargain prices ( I just purchased 3 of them). A Czech version folds to about the size of a 1-liter bottle and is on sale for $10 dollars and has 6-nylon webbing handled (a closed-cell foam ground roll helps stabilize this version). A German version, which is called a compact emergency stretcher sells for $30 dollar. The latter of the two is about the size of a (thick sized) stadium cushion and as has 3-built-in safety straps for patient packing, plus it has hard handles for an 8 person carry. As you tell, I like the German model. NOTE: These item may also be found in your local military surplus store and I do not suggest to buy anything from only one source.

I realize that not all MSAR teams encourage their members to carry a large amount of gear into the field and some teams do not train for patient packaging, leaving the task of rescue duties to other SAR resources. If your MSAR team likes new training ideas, then this product may work for you. My team requires our members to carry most of the items listed on the SAR Tech-II ready pack list, plus some MSAR items. This gear is placed on or about the rider and mount. We try very hard to provide a wide range of SAR services. Our team has been training with flexible stretchers during the past year and we like them. True there are some pro's and con's, but being able to carry someone horizontally out of a dangerous place with a soft stretcher, but being able to transport someone to a location where advanced support is waiting can mean the difference of life or death.

If you like this kind of product, please TRAIN WITH IT before using it on an injured person in the field. Military forces from around the world have documented incidents where these type of stretchers saved many lives. As with any other piece of MSAR gear, keep it in safe working condition and inspect it before training. Personally, I believe the highest level of training and the degree of preparedness should come from the local level. Documenting your training and training with other teams adds to your professionalism and reduces liability.

Happy trails and searching,

Tomi`
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland