msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Leadership problems

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Leadership problems
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:26:37 -0600

Sarah Buckingham wrote:
>It was mentioned that you could campaign to change the makeup of the
>board for the next year. I highly agree with this. However, what can you
>do in the case where the current board elects the new board, and
>continues to keep it the exact same people?

This is a very common setup, designed by founding boards
to make it difficult for later members to gain ("steal")
control. The membership can wage a campaign to change
the organizational structure in its bylaws. Whether such
a campaign is likely to succeed depends on a variety of
social dynamics. And keep in mind that a new structure
may still be vulnerable to manipulation and entrenchment.

Another common setup is for the board to be required to
appoint a nominating committee and for the committee to
dictate who is eligible to be a candidate. In good years,
such a committee serves to recruit and groom candidates
for election to the board; in bad years, the committee
not only restricts the list of candidates but also stuffs
the ballot box with proxy votes.

Ultimately, it all boils down to the goals of the board.
Do the board members sincerely want to be a SAR unit, or
is their true (and perhaps unspoken) goal to become some
other kind of organization?

Una