msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] use of a man Tracker

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] use of a man Tracker
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:00:51 -0700

> What is your opinion of using a man tracker with your unit?
A trained tracker is a great resource to have in any SAR group.
This type of training is also very helpful for clue awareness.

> What extra what training should they get ?
There is at least a couple of different groups across the country that offer
tracking training.

> how would you select a member for a tracker?
We have a large group. We decided to send one of our people away for
tracking training at the groups expense..
The reasons we decided a certain member was a good candidate are as follows:
1. He was a avid hunter and outdoorsman, so the interest was there. - A good
tracker needs to use their skills to stay sharp.
Use it or loose it.
2.We made it clear that after he learn his new skills he would train others
in our group. This member had natural leadership qualities so we knew he
was capable of carrying out a extended educational training program for our
group.

In the future we plan to send our trained tracker away for more advanced
training or bring in some one in to training the whole group.

TER
Training Officer and Director for Marshall County Mounted Sheriff's Posse -
An 80 plus membership SAR organization.