msar-riders - [MSAR] catching up

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kevin Stokes" <klstokes@qwest.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] catching up
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:23:48 -0800

I just caught up with a backlog of messages dating back to early October. My head still hurts. Through all that reading a number of stories come to mind. But one that deals with other resources leaps to mind.
For the past two years I've been involved with an SAR umbrella organization getting started in Minnesota. This involves all resources.
Last year on a search, a friend of mine (horse guy) and one of the canine guys from this group bumped into each other. They talked about how to work the search. It worked out simple - horses in the tall grass, dogs in the trees with the low hanging branches. It seems so obvious, but if they hadn't known each other from this group, it probably would have taken longer to meet and come to this decision.
Earlier this year, that same canine guy was on a search that involved mounted searchers. He told me he was disappointed he didn't find any mounteds he knew. He said it would have made it easier on him.
My point? I'm here to help. I don't care what I may disagree on with anyone. My focus is on the missing person. And if I can somehow help someone else make the find , well, it works for me.
Kevin Stokes
Washington Co Sheriff's Mounted Patrol (MN)