msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] catching up

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] catching up
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:27:06 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Stokes" <klstokes@qwest.net>
[...]
For the past two years I've been involved with an SAR umbrella organization getting started in Minnesota. This involves all resources.

Statewide SAR coordination is an excellent strategy, particularly with a Mutual Aid structure that follows ICS/NIMS so the request and response of additional resources can be better organized. It also provides the opportunity to identify consistent expectations. And all resources will become more aware of how they can complement and support each other.

Last year on a search, a friend of mine (horse guy) and one of the canine guys from this group bumped into each other. They talked about how to work the search. It worked out simple - horses in the tall grass, dogs in the trees with the low hanging branches. It seems so obvious, but if they hadn't known each other from this group, it probably would have taken longer to meet and come to this decision.

SAR Management should already be thinking this way, aware of advantages/disadvantages of different resources in diferent environments. Often searchers on quads/off-highway motorcycles work well with MSAR for much the same reason - they can take on the areas that need someone lower to the ground.

[...] My focus is on the missing person. And if I can somehow help someone else make the find , well, it works for me.

<nodding> We're all supposed to be out there working toward a common goal. SAR is a *Team* effort, and every role is important. Not the right place to take your ego with you, but good skills and good ideas should always be welcome. ;)

Kevin Stokes
Washington Co Sheriff's Mounted Patrol (MN)

I don't suppose you were one of the 70+ people at my SAR/MSAR management workshop hosted by Marshall Co, MN, a month ago?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar