msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Fox Trotter

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Fox Trotter
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:45:57 -0800

I agree on the "comfort": issue with the gaited horse. And yes, one potential issue mixing a gaited horse with non-gaited is the normal walking speed of the gaited tends to be faster. That can cause problems in formation riding or even just on the trail. Another potential issue is how that gaited horse was trained. Many are taught to ride with firm contact on the mouth, and little control from the seat, which isn't what many riders in MSAR would be accustomed to. And I've heard from people in the gaited industry that there are certain show bloodlines that have bred for certain hip and shoulder conformation that tends to be a problem as the horse gets older. So, just like any horse shopping ... do your homework before you buy. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: <pennbo@bbv.net>
One problem with gaited riding SAR- our gaited owners have complained
numerous times that its tough to ride with a bunch of non-gaited folk.
They say their horses pick up bad habits, like trotting! <G> Seriously
though, the difference in pace can be tough at times. We've worked
through it and I don't think its much of an issue anymore.