msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Fox Trotter

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Fox Trotter
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:46:55 -0800

One of our members has an Old Style Fox trotter that is an exceptionally
nice horse. He is full bodied, solid, great legs, and is quite the
looker. He moves out well, is almost fearless, and has learned
everything very quickly. (He just turned 5 and has been under saddle a
year) I really like his personality too. However I am really sold on my
Morgans - I think I like their humor and they keep me entertained by
being so interactive! But my next SAR horse WILL BE a gaited Morgan. I
am way too jealous of the other members with their gaited horses-
especially when we need to cover ground quickly. My Morgans (non-gaited)
are really quite smooth but not as smooth as a Fox Trotter!

One problem with gaited riding SAR- our gaited owners have complained
numerous times that its tough to ride with a bunch of non-gaited folk.
They say their horses pick up bad habits, like trotting! <G> Seriously
though, the difference in pace can be tough at times. We've worked
through it and I don't think its much of an issue anymore.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR