msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Open Minded Skepticism-Dogs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Ezell" <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Open Minded Skepticism-Dogs
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:52:23 -0600

Hal Sikes wrote:
"K9 took exception to my view
that "the dog" did not "have to have" the sterile conditions to work
that the handlers espoused - I.e. Handling of a scent article, everyone
MUST stayed behind me or it will confuse my dog, etc., and in particular
my view that if the dog couldn't tell the difference between the
subjects vs his handlers on a scent article they'd better get a new dog."
***************
I agree that "sterile field" conditions are unacceptable expectations by a
handler. I've had some "trailing dog handlers" want everybody out of the
area before they worked their dog. They were not invited to return on other
searches. A member of this same team handled the scent article and
contaminated it with her scent. Her dog should be able to use it but what
about the next dog on a different shift when she wasn't there. Article
became useless for other handlers. Not good, and avoidable. A handler using
a bad scent article could trail someone for hours and find them but it's not
the subject. Or the dog could give a negative if they are smelling the
"contaminating other person" in an area the subject really had traveled
through. In either case everyone thinks the dog & handler are idiots, but
they started out using bad scent article and didn't know it. The old garbage
in - garbage out!

We try to use sterile methods to secure the scent article and from that you
can "brew" some more with sterile gauze pads inside the bag. Other handlers
can then use these. So I take some exception to your scent article comment.
It's best to collect it yourself and keep it sterile when possible. Then
there is no doubt.

The choice of scent articles is also pertinent. Socks for instance are not
always good if the subject had walked through the house with other occupants
inadvertently mopping up their skin cells on the socks as well. Underwear
can be good because it's seldom shared (in most parts of the country). But
not from a family hamper. Controlling the variables are often critical but
not always possible.

Whenever I fly with Hunter, I try to get a passenger to play subject, get a
scent article (preferably their billfold, but none have fallen for that yet,
Ha!) and we trail them to the baggage carousel through the terminal. It's a
challenge but you can't ask for more contamination than a busy terminal. So
far a ten minute trail hasn't thrown Hunter off, I follow along behind like
the good little handler he wants me to be, he finds them and they all get a
big kick out of it. We have fun and make a bunch of new SAR dog friends.

If working an airscent dog in wilderness it's simpler to have fewer people
in the immediate area, so people behind the handler and down wind is a good
rule. With a trailing dog and a good handler with good scent article, it
shouldn't matter how many people are there. Most non-handlers don't know one
dog discipline from another so some confusion can occur. And then there are
some dogs that need a new handler! Ha! ;o)

JMHO,

Jeff Ezell
US Regional Search Dogs
US Search Affiliates