msar-riders - [MSAR] Open Minded Skepticism

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Hal Sikes <halsikes@hotmail.com>
  • To: MSAR Riders <MSAR-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [MSAR] Open Minded Skepticism
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:37:27 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate of Hal's text here. -Una]

(Orig. reply 11\03 ret. by List Admin due to size. Deleted your orig.
msg & stationary bkgrd. and am resending)

Terry,

In the words of Fog Horn Leghorn - THAT'S A JOKE, SON! THAT'S A JOKE!
I do appreciate your "tip" on how to figure out "who is who" and signs
of insecurity, but you might want to "lighten up" a little. To your
"signs" you might try adding over analyzation, heightened sensitivity,
limited sense of humor, and thinking everything is brain surgery -- or
as I call it, succumbing to the "Ego eats Brain" syndrome.

Over the years I have regularly irritated both K9 and Mounted for their
pompous attitudes re: their "specialties". K9 took exception to my view
that "the dog" did not "have to have" the sterile conditions to work
that the handlers espoused - I.e. Handling of a scent article, everyone
MUST stayed behind me or it will confuse my dog, etc., and in particular
my view that if the dog couldn't tell the difference between the
subjects vs his handlers on a scent article they'd better get a new dog.

Mounted took exception to my opinion that there were a heck of a lot
more "horse owners" than Horsemen\women in the unit....and absolutely
refused to accept the fact that their mount was "air scenting" the whole
time they were on the trail, and if they paid more attention to what
their horse was doing instead of trying to impress the ground pounders
they would know that. Both K9 and Mounted told me I was crazy to even
think of a "Mounted K9 Team" - "it just won't work". My reply, they
might want to let England and my fellow redneck southerners know that
fact was not well received!

I don't claim to be an "expert" in either discipline, but I have had
"exposure" to both. I'm 62 years old & rode my first horse when I was 4
- have had q\horses, drafts, & an Andalusian Stud; was taught a horse is
a working tool - how good of a tool depended on the rider. Am currently
looking for a couple of replacement mounts for my daughter (also in SAR
for many years) and myself.

Got my first G. Shepard at 9 & was intro to detection work from a P.D
Sgt that used them for private security. Went thru Showa AFB Dog School
in 62, was both a handler and training NCO from Jan 62\July 63 (SE Asia)
& it wasn't on the flight line for planes. What I was "searching" for
had a nasty habit of shooting back. Worked with French Commandos & some
their dogs from late 63 to mid 65. Late 70's & early 80's worked with
Sheriff's Dept. K9 for some of their problem dogs. Have a 4 y/o bitch
from Germany & a 13 month old pup just starting his training. The bitch
has been around horses for the last two years, and the pup will be
getting his "exposure" in the near future.

In case it's still not clear, I am a FIRM believer in the use and
abilities of BOTH Horses and Dogs as SAR resources.

Hal Sikes