msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Home Land Security

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ian Vowles" <Ian@modric.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Home Land Security
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:18:34 -0700

Title: Message
Jorene wrote

snip
  " Are any team members trained higher than basic First Aid? Wouldn't it be nice if the SAR/MSAR EMT wasn't assigned to traffic control during a disaster with multiple injured overwhelming local medical resources? "

Not sure what happens in California but in my experience either training or real life ~~ our EMT's no matter what other groups they belong to  immediately offer their EMT skills in a potential MCI - never heard of EMT's doing traffic duty whilst subjects needed help !!!!  I suspect doing so and ignoring people in medical need would be considered negligence in our state, even as a first responder although not legally bound as an EMT, ethically I am compelled to assist.

The forgoing makes me wonder if you expect firefighters who happen to arrive as SAR members to watch the forest burn down ? !!

Another issue; CERT ~

snip
 " What is the local potential during a SAR for finding the subject somehow trapped? (Just inside a mine, landslide, old structure collapsed, etc.) Does the SAR / MSAR team have training to safely extract that person? Basic CERT training would provide those skills.  "

It seems the CERT program is providing much more in training and certification than I was previously aware - I am VERY concerned that programs which provide minimal education at best are suggested to be a qualification for "lay" people ( which is what CERT is ) to attempt rescues that may be beyond their capabilities or equipment - collapsed structures are not the places for amateurs to be playing .!  Ditto mines or landslides - YES CERT will give them a basic understanding of safety issues but lets keep it in perspective .

Fortunately most SAR teams are educated and know vastly more about emergencies than citizens who have a smattering of civil defense !  Apart from anything else if a CERT person finds and begins extracting a person from the collapsed structure  you have the danger to them of further collapse but also the danger of moving the subject without trained medical help and presumably equipment.

My understanding - and I am willing to be corrected - is CERT is a 20 hour course to educate citizens how to assist in the event of a disaster in their locale - urban/suburban  , it is a tiny course in comparison to training SAR volunteers undertake and study no matter where they practice, the implication that emergency management will require CERT qualification  before considering a SAR team is I think ridiculous !

Quote from FEMA " The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program helps train people to be better prepared to respond to emergency situations in their communities. When emergencies happen, CERT members can give critical support to first responders, provide immediate assistance to victims, and organize spontaneous volunteers at a disaster site. CERT members can also help with non-emergency projects that help improve the safety of the community."

I am all in favor of CERT but not the way Jorene wishes to imply their superior skills over SAR teams - I beg to differ.

Now your CERT qualified person directing traffic to free up the EMT - that would make sense :-)

Ian

Ian Vowles
Colorado Mounted Rescue

SARTECH II, III , Evaluator,
Licensed Instructor ISAR FUNSAR, Examiner/Coordinator SARTECH II + III.
First Responder / Wilderness First Aid
Wildland Firefighter qualified - not active !
Fema ICS qualified etc.
Colorado Mounted Ranger.