msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: [PL 105-19] Home Land Security

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm'-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: [PL 105-19] Home Land Security
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:02:25 -0500

As volunteer public service professionals, I know on no laws that covers those persons who are negligent in their duties and performing tasks that exceed their level of documented training.  That is why it is so important to document all aspects of MSAR training and for team management to ensure that their teams members perform only those duties which they were trained.    Sadly, in this world of the civil litigation bandwagon, no one is safe from being the subject of a law suit.

I believe the reason Jorene had brought this topic up, was to advise SAR/MSAR teams that our role during an emergency situation could be greatly expanded, providing teams were prepared and trained for the tasks.

Tomi'
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team
State of Maryland

BC911 wrote:
OK, I read the law. Basically it says and covers what most state laws already cover. I will still go by me state law and not depend on the federal one.
Also if you notice, it does not protect you if you are negligent, cause willful harm or you are doing something outside of your level of training or licensure. Pretty much that same as our state law.