msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Home Land Security

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Home Land Security
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:13:59 -0800

Good stuff, Terry!
----- Original Message -----
From: wwfarm
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 12:46 PM
Subject: [MSAR] Home Land Security

Home Land Security

This past weekend select members of our Sheriff's Posse were invited to and played a active role in a INTERNATIONAL TERRORIST / WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION / HAZMAT / EXERCISE on the Canadian Border.  This was a         international multi agency exercise with over 30 different agencies responding.  Every agency that you can imagine was represented and played a part, all the way from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to a very elite              military Hazmat Bio / Chemical / Nuclear  Control / Team. It took 15 million dollars to equip this specialized squad.                      (Let me tell you, this team and their equipment were, borrowing a phrase used by my children WAY COOL! )

The two teams of Posses ( Only two that participated) were first notified at the briefing that we would be doing a SAR
for several of the 100 or so victims. As the scenario played out there were several terrorist generated disasters going
on simultaneously so law enforcement was spread thin. Priority's changed as the Posse was called in to block traffic on
a major road and set up a security perimeter on the up wind side of a accident scene. The training accident scene was
a tanker truck filled with a unknown chemical which ran into and derailed a passenger train.

Our group feels privileged that we were invited to participate in this type of exercise. It was a educational and interesting
experience to say the least. I feel our participation helped spread a favorable light on Mounted Teams in general and
showed our diversified abilities. I believe there are similar exercises being planed for other parts of the US. If your team
would want to be involved I would suggest that you contact your Emergency Management Representative from your
County and express your wishes. Next I would suggest that you try to attend a planning committee meeting and let them
know in what ways your team could contribute to such a exercise. I feel that with a little additional training and gear MSAR
could be versatile for both SAR and disaster response. If you look back at some previous post on this list by Jorene,
she gave some very good ideas on different ways MSAR can be useful in a disaster situation. Last but not least ask
your county representative, in many cases there may be some money available to cover your out of the pocket expenses.
 I would strongly believe that if the opportunity presents its self it could benefit all MSAR it you participate.

TER
Director Marshall County MN Mounted Sheriff Posse