msar-riders - [MSAR] ref home land security

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Bdurham05201@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] ref home land security
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:54:18 EST

I'm sure the whole event was "WAY COOL" and participating in it a privilege.
It made me think of our relationship with our local Emergency Management Agency, I'd like to share, it might help others become better known or accepted in their areas.  Since our beginning we have been registered or listed with our county Emergency Management Agency, as a "resource group" specifically for SAR, however having an ongoing relationship (show interest in other "things" they do) opens other doors for us.  We have been invited to participate in a variety of drills that are planned to help others improve, although we are on the peripheral of those trainings we learn "who else is out there" not to mention what they responsibilities are, in that general field of response and rescue.  We GET TO KNOW THEM, enough cannot be said for good rapport.  We have been invited to participate in "Safety Fairs" in huge mall parking lots, where police, fire, life squad, hospitals, water rescue, helicopters, and other emergency response groups gather to offer the public a glimpse of what is there for them.  We take our horses, full tack, set up a table a couple people man, with brochures about our team.   We get invited to parades,
We were invited to assist a neighboring county after a flash flood accompanied by the Ohio River Flooding. Their resources were stretched thin.  We rode to homes that vehicles could not get to, to ask how everyone was and did they need any emergency items, medicine, food, drinking water, then relayed back to the authorities what if any needs.
Basically we try never to turn down a reasonable request.  It gets us in the loop.  Unlike Terry's group who is a part of a police agency others may have to work a little harder to get recognition or acceptance.  I hope this is useful to some. Brenda Durham
East Fork State Park
Volunteer Mounted Search & Rescue