msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR MSAR group?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "BC911" <usark9@warpdriveonline.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR MSAR group?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:16:56 -0700

Hi Sue

I am sort of a lurker on this list mainly because although I am a horse
person, my experience in SAR is mainly as a K-9 handler.
Having said that, I am a member of NASAR and have been for almost 10 years.
It was a requirement to be a NASAR SAR Tech II for deployment on the team
that I was on in S. Florida. It would seem that the eastern part of the US
is heavy into NASAR. I don't know about the West, but the Southwest, here in
New Mexico is not at all connected with NASAR.

We have another training/ requirement/ certification, whatever you want to
call it from our state. It is called the PACE certification. It is a scaled
down version of the NASAR SAR Tech II.

Membership in NASAR has its advantages in that there are discounts from the
NASAR book store, conferences, training materials and their certifications
are turning out to be setting a standard for teams across the country.
That's a good thing.
The ground pounder, and K-9 certifications are very good. I don't know
anything about the mounted training and cert.'s, but I would imagine that
they would be good too.

B. Diane Whetsel EMT I
NASAR SAR Tech II
Search Dogs Southwest
NMTF I, CSS (FEMA)
911BC

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they
went.
~~Will Rogers

usark9@warpdriveonline.com