msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] what to have in pack- and another question...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] what to have in pack- and another question...
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:08:28 -0700

L. S. wrote:
>I find this discussion of water very interesting... it has brought a
>question to my mind, okay two questions....
>
>1. What do you feel are MUST HAVE items in the pack you carry?
>2. What do you feel are MUST HAVE items in your saddle bags?
>3. Are there seasonal differences in what you take?
>
>As a rookie, here's what I carry in my fanny pack: ziplocks, duct tape,
>knife, hoof pick, power bars, water, notebook, pencil, talk about, 1st aid
>kit, vetwrap (which doubles as flagging tape).

This topic has been addressed in general terms and in detail WRT
duct tape. But perhaps I can still contribute something here, by
addressing directly the particular pack items mentioned by L. S.

So, to L. S.:

I keep ziplocks, hoof pick, duct tape, at most half my water, and
vetwrap on the saddle. Hoof pick is snapped on a D ring. The
rest is in a saddle bag. I use one that has a center and 2 side
pockets. I attach it on the pommel or on the cantle, depending
on whether I pack some other gear on the cantle. Getting on and
off the horse is much easier and safer, with bags on the pommel.

If you plan to use cantle and/or side bags behind the saddle on
SAR missions, *practice* using them on training rides. Practice
especially a drill where one person announces it is time for
everyone to dismount *now*; dismounting in a hurry, many people
not used to much baggage will get hung up on the baggage. Do
this in an arena or other reasonably safe, confined place, and
when the horses are calm and paying attention.

Vetwrap makes expensive flagging tape; I guess you don't use it
much. With flagging tape you need a permanent marker; "tape with
no writing = trash". What to write on the tape: team name for
that mission (eg, HT9), date, time, and your direction of travel
or your specific reason for using the tape. A nifty new item is
a Sharpie with permanent marker tip on one end, and ultra-fine
writing tip on the other end. It serves as one tool for 2 jobs:
taking notes in your SAR field book, and marking flagging tape.

The rest that you mention is on my person. I do not carry power
bars; too expensive and not to my taste. Instead I carry (and
eat) nuts, dried fruit, fruitcake, chocolate, smoked fish, jerky,
etc., and a little candy (more for the subject than myself). If
you carry food that you routinely don't bother to eat, you almost
might as well have left it at home.

You don't mention items I consider essential: magnetic compass
and a clock (a watch, or your cell phone or GPS).

>In my saddle bag: another hoof pick,water, rope, extra tack(chin strap,
>reins, easy boot) radio book.

I would skip the duplicate hoof pick: use your knife. Ditto
the chin strap: pack spare boot laces (more uses). Ditto reins:
use the rope you pack and/or pack also parachute cord (again,
more uses). My horse wears her halter and lead under the bridle,
or carries them on the saddle. On training rides, I often spend
hours practicing riding her sans bridle, in the halter and lead.
Between that and the rope in my pack, I do not need spare bridle
parts.

Easy boot I would leave in the trailer: use duct tape instead.

Good for you, packing the manual to your radio. But, no spare
batteries?

>the Search Ready Horse... please define what you consider that to be.....

Reinforcing most of Jorene's definition, and adding a few other
details:

Reliably calm. Servicably sound. Well mannered with strange
people, horses, and dogs. Does not kick. Does not bite. Not
herd bound or buddy sour. Not excited by sudden loud noises,
alarms, horns, and helicopters landing within 50 yards/meters.
Stops. Ties, and can be tied in close company. Leads. Stands
on voice command (a step toward ground tying, and very useful
on trails too difficult to ride). Loads with no fuss in your
trailer and in others. Crosses water and mud. On cue, either
jumps small jumpable obstacles *or* steps or climbs over those
same obstacles (ability to control *how* your horse crosses an
obstacle is a safety issue).

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico