msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Easy Boot option / what to have in pack- and anotherquestion...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "BC911" <usark9@warpdriveonline.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Easy Boot option / what to have in pack- and anotherquestion...
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:52:28 -0700

This is a great idea!
This gave me another idea. I was wondering how long a simple inner tube
would last in our "bad lands" in New Mexico. I know that most of the places
that we ride and search are tough on the hoofs due to the rocky ground. I
was thinking that the inner tube might not last very long here and that a
variation on that could be to cut a piece of tire in the shape of your
horses hoof and use it as a quick fix. Of course, it would have to be
pre cut to fit and packed. It won't be as light as an inner tube, but it
sure could be effective. The thickness would be about the same as a shoe.
Slots could be cut into the tire and the tube laced through it for the
supporting ties with the vet wrap.
Just a thought for this tough ground out here.

B. Diane Whetsel EMT I
Search Dogs Southwest
NMTF I, CSS
911BC