msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:38:00 -0700

Tomi wrote:
>Day Dreaming- I have often thought a great MSAR-only event is a 5-mile
>Judged Trail Course.

Exactly! That's what I am trying to pull together for ESCAPE
2004, the annual New Mexico SAR conference. But it could be a
regular part of MSAR field training.

MSAR trail obstacles could include:

Slick "grease" mud.

Deep sticky "glue" mud.

A "barrier" of hanging strips of black plastic or rubber, that
must be pushed through.

A small "tunnel" of opaque material, such as a tarp.

A log 18 inches thick, lying in a pile of thin brush. This is
something that intimidates inexperienced horses, and for safety
large objects in brush should not be jumped, but if possible
stepped over. Or, if the horse prefers, stepped on (then only
if the horse has the sense to first test the log for stability).

A short point-to-point ride, the rider carrying in hand a map,
compass or GPS, and radio (or radio mike). While en route, the
rider gets an urgent call on the radio, perhaps giving a new
set of coordinates for the rider to ride to.

A short, steep stair, like the type designed for people to be
able to cross fences or walls, but keep livestock and larger
wildlife on the correct side of the barrier. Yes, horses can
cross these, but most need to be taught that this is possible.

A "fallen tree" footbridge over a shallow ditch or stream, or
just on flat ground.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico