msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mosquito abatement and WNV

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mosquito abatement and WNV
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:52:35 -0700

From: mythbehavin
>>WNV is a disease we should all be concerned about. I haven't read
anywhere where horses which were vaccinated actually contacted the disease,
[...] USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) has also approved full
license for the WNV vaccine as of February 6, 2003 and from what I
understand has been proven effective.<<

>From what I understand, the numbers released by USDA regarding the number of
WNV equine deaths does not indicate how many of those that died (1/3 of
those that were reported infected) had received a vaccination. If you have a
link to official statistics that indicate survival / death rate for those
with shots, or how many got WNV even with the vaccine, I'd sure like to see
it.

We've had friends with breeding programs around North America report
multiple previously reliable broodmares with slipped foals, stallion sperm
counts suddenly very low, foal birth defects, etc ... in unusually high
percentages. The only new common factor identified (and therefore under
suspicion) appears to be the Ft. Dodge vaccination for WNV. If you haven't
seen the web site where they are accumulating personal reports of breeding
program problems that appear to be related to the Ft Dodge WNV vaccine,
visit
http://www.lost-foals-group.4t.com/ Whatever caused these problems, the
results sure aren't pretty.

We chose to not go there and are taking our chances in a currently low risk
WNV region. With this epidemic of WNV in Mexico, our situation is now more
vulnerable with an increased number of carriers south of us.

Risk assessment from a breeder's perspective - this may be one of those
damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. <sigh> No clear solution.
We typically don't have much of a mosquito problem and chose to focus on
mosquito abatement as prevention instead of vaccination. All we can do is
hope we made the right choice.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA