msar-riders - [MSAR] further on night searches and lights

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "trailsendfarm@erols.com" <trailsendfarm@erols.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] further on night searches and lights
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:37:23 -0400

In Maryland, with our summer humidity (ick) and frequent afternoon/evening
thunderstorms (ick) and thick foliage, our starlight/moonlight is not
reliable for night search illumination. However, I find trying to ride and
search in the dark with a flashlight or headlamp narrows my world down to
just that beam of light.

I much prefer to use the lights as little as possible, and to "listen" and
to ride with "soft eyes". (See the riding book "Centered Riding." She uses
the metaphor "soft eyes" which I have taken to heart. For me, it is the
opposite of tunnel or beam-of-light vision. I would describe it as
focussing on nothing specific. Letting your mind register your peripheral
vision. Motion will be most noticable in your peripheral vision, much as
it is for animals of prey with eyes on the sides of their head).

But the comment about headlamps worn by others giving you an idea what
those others are doing is also valid. Perhaps a headlamp pointed rather
upwards. And Light Sticks. I personaly don't think a light stick
illuminates the trail for the horse, as some riders might propose, BUT a
light stick shows others in the field where YOU are.

Have you seen the KRILL lights? Battery operated light sticks! Light
sticks that can be turned off and used again. 2 double A batteries. I love
mine. http://www.kriana.com/

Suzanne Anderson
TROT Search Team, Maryland

http://mail2web.com/ .