msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mosquito abatement and WNV

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: mythbehavin <mythbehavin@shaw.ca>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mosquito abatement and WNV
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:52:43 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

WNV is a disease we should all be concerned about. I haven't read anywhere
where horses which were vaccinated actually contacted the disease, but it
seems there are many horse owners who cannot afford the high costs of
vaccinating their horses (understandably so, especially when a person has a
large herd). Many I have talked with are also waiting to see what happens
with regards to the spread of the disease, or others yet who will just hope
it doesn't affect them.

Fortunately WNV has not affected us yet except for the inevitable fact that
one day soon it will come into our province. My sister and I run a breeding
program and have vaccinated the broodmares prior to foaling according to the
specified dates and the foals are healthy and very normal. I realize with
the many different vaccines we use on our horses these days we compromise
their immune systems moreso than horses living in what many of us fondly
call the 'Wild West'.

My suggestion with the vaccines is; do lots of research and as all us up
here are doing... cross our fingers, toes, pray for the best, hope we did
the right thing.... and wait.

Here are some wonderful sites which I found are most helpful in
understanding the spread of the disease and what it means to me as a horse
owner. These sites are very helpful understanding the vaccine as well....
especially the latter site.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/wnv/wnv.html
http://www.equinewestnile.com/

USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) has also approved full
license for the WNV vaccine as of February 6, 2003 and from what I
understand has been proven effective.

Chris had written: What portable anti-mosquito measures, if any, could an
MSAR team take to
a mutual aid callout where a problem with insects could exist? (besides bug
sprays....)

....don't forget those fly sheets and masks (especially for overnight
searches) You can also purchase propane powered bug zapper's but of course
you don't want them too close to your horse because they attract the bugs to
them with carbon monoxide and heat. I have never used them but they kind of
remind of ET sitting there by their lonesome with only the propane tank they
are sitting on to keep them company.

I do agree with you Chris, nothing is certain when it comes to protecting
our equine companions.

Cheers,
Susan McDonald
MSAR