msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Guns in SAR
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:29:11 -0600

In reading this thread so far, I think the issues surrounding guns
in SAR may be greatly clarified if the following distinctions are
made:

Issues specific to MSAR: the possible need to put down a horse in
the field, the desensitization of the horse, where to pack or carry
a gun safely while riding, what is a suitable gun for this purpose,
what are the alternatives, how great is the need.
vs
Issues pertaining to all SAR: personal safety and security in a
field environment where you may be threatend by hostile persons
(those with or without guns), probability of such threat, level
of such threat.

and

Issues of personal choice.
vs
Issues of proper authority.

I am sure we would be interested to hear what more units think of
all this.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico