msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] training new horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Paul Fleming <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] training new horses
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:09:34 -0700

Vince,

My name is Paul Fleming. I ride with Peninsula Mounted Search And Rescue in Washington State. One of the things we do as part of the certification process is a ten mile ride. The horse and rider must complete a ten mile ride in under two hours. We do not require the horse to carry all the packs, and the terrain is usually pretty flat and the altitude is around sea level. The point here is to observe the conditioning of the horse and rider. If this exercise presents a problem then they need to do some work before progressing into the mountains. This is a minimal standard that must be passed. It is one of several evaluation rides a member in training must complete. Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Be sure to check the Training Page
<http://www.nwlink.com/~pfleming/SAR.html>