msar-riders - [MSAR] training new horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Vince Hernandez" <vinceh1@amaonline.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] training new horses
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:43:05 -0500

I Just wanted to get few ideas for any exercises/activities our group
can take new horses through. We are just beginning to provide
organized MSAR training and have several topics and lesson plans for
the riders, but need a few ideas for what to do with the horses.
These are not inexperienced horses, just new to SAR work. Their
abilities vary from "somewhat skittish" to the verge of "bomb proof".
Does anyone have any ideas on where to start? We have approx. 12
horses.

Thanks.

Vince Hernandez
Randall County Sheriff's Posse