msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: training new horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: training new horses
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:29:29 -0700

Una gave you some good info.! Also TROT SARs list of things to test on
is good. Try to think about what kinds of situations your horses will be
faced with in the field. Duplicate them- in pieces. For example we have
to cross a fair number of wooden bridges so we simulate a wooden bridge
to cross.(several of our horses recently had to cross a suspension
bridge- one horse wide and swingy!) We also have ours practice stopping
and turning or backing on steep uphills and downhills. Water obstacles
in some areas are a must! We find that water is rarely the problem but
mud often is. Thankfully a mud obstacle is easier to duplicate than a
water obstacle! <G> Riding double or riding with a large something over
the front of the saddle are important skills. Opening and refolding a
map while your horse stands quietly is a must. Handing large objects (ie
trash bag of noisy stuff) from one rider to another or to a ground
person. Dragging a heavy object for 15-20 feet. Leaving a group of
horses quietly and with no fuss. Crossing stepovers into forest areas is
a frequently found obstacle that is intimidating for some horses.
(narrow uprights and tall crossover) I find that while we (MSARs) often
practice what we might find in the field we forget sometimes about the
Command Post environment. For example- lots of vehicles, possibly
barking dogs, flags and tarps flying, tarps overhead, tables,
loudspeakers or loud radios <g>, sirens, lights, ATVs. If you want a
calm horse on the trail you have to get them to the start in a calm
frame of mind! <G> I train mine to stand UNDER a blue tarp- more likely
scenario than going over a blue tarp I think. I play LOUD noises and
music to them while eating or working. Bags, flags, and other assorted
objects tied to the paddock fence desensitizes them to crinkly, moving
objects. Anything I can think of that duplicates a busy stationing area.

We don't expect our horses not to react but we expect them to react in a
controllable manner. For example if someone pops a paper bag behind one
of mine I expect them to jump. I also expect them to stand still without
bolting or at the very most to turn and face the noise. These are
acceptable to me as without those reflexes I am not taking advantage of
the horses natural instinct to survive! I don't want a dead head- I want
a thinking animal that partners with me.

I think most training should really take place at each individuals home
facility. Coming together should be to either A. be checked off on
skills, or B. work on areas that are giving many horses trouble. Of
course if you have a group that is willing to put LOTS of time in
together to work on skills as a group more power to you! <G> We have one
'training' meeting where we go over all the obstacles to pass our
certification. Then we have another where you are expected to pass. If
you pass easily during the training you'll be checked off. However this
gives everyone a chance to work on skills they have identified as being
problem areas before they are required to officially complete them. For
example, backing through an L turned out to be traumatic for many of our
horses. (first year we've added this obstacle) Lots of folks are going
to working on this until our next meeting! <G>

One concern I have to share- I KNOW that crossing a blue tarp is de
rigeur training for many groups but I have strong aversions to it. I
have seen many potentially serious accidents when the unexpected happens
while crossing a tarp. I have seen horses catch a shoe edge and drag the
tarp after them- meanwhile dumping their rider. (imagine your horse
suddenly having a large noisy flapping object nipping at their heels no
matter how fast they run....) I have seen the wind tear it up and flop
it over the horses side with similar results as above. The list goes on.
I can't justify in my mind what it is supposed to simulate as far as
field situations go. Maybe we could have a discussion here on whether it
is a legitimate and valuable exercise (and why) or whether its a
practice that should be discontinued.

Also- how many of you have to have your horses certified, according to
some agency or list of actions, in order to do SAR?

Hope some of this helps!
Chris Pennington