msar-riders - [MSAR] Networking in New Mexico

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Networking in New Mexico
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:23:52 -0600

Lydia Mabry wrote:
>Hi Barbara, wow - we're neighbors!

This mailing list has easily 10 subscribers who are members
of MSAR units in New Mexico.

>I would like to get more info on the ESC - I have been trying
>to find out when the meetings are but havent heard yet.

So many New Mexico SAR volunteers are unclear about this,
that it may be worth explaining in detail...

The New Mexico Emergency Services Council (NMESC) is a non-
profit organization that is entirely independent of the New
Mexico SAR system (which consists of volunteers who report
to the State Police Division of the NM Department of Public
Safety). NMESC does what NM DPS cannot do. Many (most?)
SAR units in New Mexico are both recognized by NM DPS (see
http://www.dps.nm.org/sar/teams.htm) and *also* are members
of NMESC. Being recognized by NM DPS involves fairly high
requirements (contact James Newberry, SAR Resource Officer;
see http://www.dps.nm.org/sar/general_information.htm), but
to join NMESC all you have to do is fill out a form (get it
on http://www.nmesc.org/membership.html) and pay $30/year.

Among other things, NMESC runs the ESCAPE conference (more
below), mails out a printed newsletter to member units (or
individuals), and periodically holds board meetings. Per
http://www.nmesc.org/, "NMESC Board meetings are open to all
SAR responders, but if you want to address the Board, please
contact the Board Chair, Mike Lowe (mlowe@zianet.com) to
have your topic of discussion placed on the agenda." When
the next board meeting is scheduled, details will be given
on http://www.nmesc.org/.

The ESCAPE conference. This is a Friday-Sunday event, held
in May each year somewhere in the state. In 2004, somewhere
near Ruidoso. http://www.nmesc.org/ still has all the info
for ESCAPE 2003; while it lasts, take a look so you get an
idea what to expect for 2004.

For those MSAR-riders subscribers in New Mexico or adjacent
states, I highly recommend attending ESCAPE, with or without
your horse. Either way, ESCAPE is a great opportunity to
learn new skills for SAR.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico