msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR standards / Welcome to MSAR-riders

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Mike Dillard" <DILLARDM@mustang.k12.ok.us>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR standards / Welcome to MSAR-riders
  • Date: Thu Dec 5 17:54:00 2002

Mike Dillard <DILLARDM@mustang.k12.ok.us> wrote:
> > [...] I am an Emergency Services Officer for a Civil Air Patrol squadron
in Oklahoma. CAP does have MSAR units in other states but none here in
Oklahoma and no standardization program. I am currently working on
developing, implementing and most importantly, standardizing a MSAR program
for not only Oklahoma, specifically, our squadron (OK-113) but, something
which CAP can use at the National Level. <<

Mike, we appear to be on similar missions, although yours applies to
defining national standards. CA has proposed statewide SAR guidelines based
on recommendations from the SAR Coordinators from each county. I am taking
on the project of designing the new SAR standards for my county, including
MSAR. It sounds like we would both benefit from some information exchange,
so I'm responding to the List and on direct email. In the MSAR List archives
online http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/msar-riders you can find
my "Introduction" to see my background. Also take a look at my comments on
"Wilderness SAR and tracking."

Local standards are still in very rough draft format, but the concept
developed for statewide application is to identify 4 levels of training and
appropriate gear for each level. In the county we will require a minimum
level of general SAR training for *all* of the SAR personnel, similar to the
NASAR SARTECH II standards. That provides general SAR knowledge. We'll also
require fundamental cross-training for technical rescue so all field
personnel will be able to at least assist in a high angle / low angle
rescue. All will be trained in map and compass, as well as GPS. From that
foundation in training, go on to specialize in mounted, groundpounder, etc.,
again with 4 levels of training. Cross training is highly encouraged so
individuals are versatile.

Per the state guidelines, Level 1 is the novice, through Level 4 advanced.
Locally Level 1 for fundamentals would probably include issuing an overview
training manual (rewriting one I started writing previously) to *all* SAR
personnel for self-paced home study - about 3-4 pages each on topics like
Incident Command System Structure, Lost Person Behavior, Clue Awareness &
Preservation, Search Methods, Helicopters in SAR, etc. Since most personnel
are volunteers, issuing a manual provides a crash course to quickly bring
people up to "awareness" speed on multiple topics rather than spending
months in monthly training classes. Written test would be pass/fail. CPR and
First Aid. This person could be of general assistance at the Command Post
until they have training on field courses.

Level 2 would be basics for field personnel, adding classroom and field
training for courses like map and compass, GPS, fundamental packaging and
Stokes litter, basics of technical rescue, Track Aware with basic field
training, etc. From there the personnel could specialize in MSAR or
whatever. Anyone responding to wilderness SAR would receive additional
wilderness-related training, likely a Level 3 category.

MSAR will likely have Level 1 as the desensitization and demonstration of
horse and rider abilities. Level 2 would likely be responders to
non-wilderness searches limited to day rides. Level 3 would qualify for
wilderness search, with "backcountry with your horse issues" training in
addition to the human wilderness skills. Level 4 might be Hasty Team with
more tracking and technical rescue skills.

I'm still juggling the rough draft for new standards, but that will give you
an overview of what kind of thoughts we're having locally. No telling what
the end result will be! ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare County, CA