msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Creating New Unit

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: heather_jones@att.net
  • To: MSAR-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Creating New Unit
  • Date: Thu Dec 5 16:13:00 2002

Thanks for your replies. You're right, it is an adventure! We have been
networking with some of the local SAR teams, and have been discussing the
potential of training together, so we'll see where that goes. I think that
could help get us known, and also teach us relevent skills. Most of these
teams
are high alpine, and do mountaineering, whitewater rescue, high ropes, etc.
While some of that is exciting and interesting, most of us are interested in
passing, versus being absolutely dedicated and interested in learning all of
it. But you have a good point, and I'll bring your email to the team.

Una, I agree with you about throwing someone up on the back of my
animal...especially in the country that we ride. I ride a mule, and while he
could certainly handle the weight, that's just not something I would do to
him.

I've seen two posts now referencing Backcountry Horsemen. Does anyone have
further info on this group that they could share? I'm curious to know if
they're in my area.

Lastly, you're right about recruiting. We are fortunate in that we have come
from an established unit, and have recruited a few members from there. We
know
of our riders's capabilities, dedication levels and horsemanship. With the
group that has fragmented, we have probably 5 or 6 people who could man an
elite hasty team. They work well with each other, their horses, the
communications, and the country. They're observant and professional. We have
others who would make good support staff, though I wouldn't like to get on a
search with them unless they were better trained. I think that will be the
biggest thing for us, is making sure that our people are properly trained,
and
that they don't pose a hazard to themselves, their horses, and others.
Personally, I refuse to put someone on a search until I know they can handle
it.